[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Vista  > Thick Green Line After Movie is Published    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Thick Green Line After Movie is Published
Nitingale is not online. Last active: 3/29/2007 3:24:39 PM Nitingale
Total Posts: 4

Thick Green Line After Movie is Published
Posted: 16 Mar 2007 07:41 PM
I've read several different threads now hoping that maybe somewhere I could find the answer to this question but it's not there. My problem is this...

I can make a video just fine on WMM no problems whatsoever, but once the video is done being published to my C Drive a mysterious, thick green line shows up and squashes and distorts the video. I have no idea what to do, this particular movie is a rip/burn to my C Drive and it is a wide screen edition. Originally I thought, okay it's doing this because it's wide screen and not full screen, maybe that would solve my problem, but no, it did not, I tried a full screen movie the green line was still there. My friend who's very skilled with the computer has been over to my house on separate occasions trying something new each time to fix it, but he has had no luck.

I know it has something to do with the transition between WMM and C Drive but I can't figure out how to fix it. Has anyone else had this problem? Or know someone who has had it or even better does anyone know how to fix it? The green lines appears underneath the picture, it looks like what one may think of as half of what a full screen would cover, but as I said the full screen did not get rid of it either.
sk8king989 is not online. Last active: 3/28/2007 7:24:54 PM sk8king989
Total Posts: 2

Re: Thick Green Line After Movie is Published
Posted: 28 Mar 2007 07:24 PM
this happened to me to, i still havent fixed it, i made another thread about it. lets hope someone solves it

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 12:31 AM
I don't think it can get fixed, I just went ahead and changed a couple of things around so I can publish again without the line.

But there's always hope, I'd love it if I could go back to the old way.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 01:02 AM
What's your "workaround" to get it to publish?

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 02:08 PM
I save it in DV-AVI format. It turns out to be a huge file, so if you want to or need to shrink it you need to get a conversion program. I use Prism, it's one of the rare few I've been able to find that works with Vista that's really, really easy to use. There are others of course, but to me, they were kind of hard to understand but this one wasn't.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 02:54 PM
I'm curious. If you take the DV-AVI file and reimport it back into Movie Maker and save it again (but in WMV format) does it do the shrinking and adding of the green line?

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 03:24 PM
Not sure, I never thought about it, so I never tried it. That's a good question though.
skier-hughes is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 1:35:22 PM skier-hughes
www.myvideoproblems.com
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1494

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 06:00 AM
Where did the original file come from, you say a rip to your hard drive, so it may be a copyright movie and the green strip is the copy protection showing through?

Graham

www.myvideoproblems.com
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 10 Apr 2007 07:24 AM
I just run across some DVD Maker forums where posts mentioned this same "half green" screen.

The common problem seems to DivX or possibly XviD codecs. The recommendation was to unload the offending codec and instead download a set of freeware Codecs for Vista

Mind you, I've not personally tried checked out this remedy (since I don't use Divx/Xvid video), but if you find this solution works, please post back here.

Blaine
YouTube videos
kubrick_im_not is not online. Last active: 4/28/2007 11:20:29 AM kubrick_im_not
Total Posts: 3

Posted: 28 Apr 2007 04:43 AM
Hi,
I had a problem with my prieview being upside down in MM and causing MM to crash, this prompted me to download xvid codec. This seemed to work and let me edit the video. Then I published it and had the green line.

I have since on considerate_guys's suggestion uninstalled the xvid codec and downloaded the vista codec package, back to the same problem of upside down video and MM bailing out I am afraid.

Just a qick question considerate guy, what file type do you work with in MM, I am open to change if it saves this messing about.

Thanks
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 28 Apr 2007 04:49 AM
I only work with DV-AVI directly from my camcorder... or WMV that I have edited and am using in another movie. I stay away from Divx and Xvid video as if they were four-letter words. Smiley

You might try converting the files. I think the instructions for doing this in XP are still relevant to Vista (see www.desilucy.com, or www.papajohn.org > Import Movie Source > Video > AVI)

Blaine
YouTube videos
smiley14 is not online. Last active: 6/2/2007 2:17:42 AM smiley14
Total Posts: 44

Posted: 05 May 2007 11:28 AM
I'm a little late to this conversation, but just wanted to add that I've run into the same thing. If I save AVI files as anything other than DV-AVI, I end up with the thick green line. I have no codecs installed, not even the Vista ones as I've discovered they cause even more problems. My AVI files play and import just fine.

However, to answer Considerate Guy's question, yes, it does work to save as DV-AVI, re-import and save again as WMV. So the two solutions I've come up with so far are to save/create the movie in two steps or to convert all my AVI files upfront to WMV. I've tried both and either works. I have no problems importing or saving my converted files either. I've been using movavi and winavi for converting, both have DVD 9 quality WMV options so I don't lose quality going from AVI to WMV.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone else noticing this problem!
spud is not online. Last active: 7/11/2007 11:56:45 PM spud
Total Posts: 7

Posted: 10 May 2007 01:01 AM
hi thanks for da info. but i need a little more help. i looked at papajohn's site. but.. i still dont know how to convert my file into DV-AVI :s
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 10 May 2007 01:49 AM
Or try www.desilucy.com > How Do I?

Blaine
YouTube videos
tyronebcookin is not online. Last active: 5/27/2007 6:49:01 PM tyronebcookin
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 21 May 2007 01:48 PM
Yes I can confirm that after I downloaded the links you posted for Vista codecs AFTER i removed the Xvid codecs does indeed work!!!!

And it removed the 'squashing green line' and/or the half green screen is gone...so I guess in retrospect it has a lot to do with whatever codecs you are using IF you say you don't use Xvid I would still do this, it cleared it up for me...

tyronebcookin

http://tyronebcookin.blogspot.com
Morpheus is not online. Last active: 6/12/2007 5:28:10 PM Morpheus
Total Posts: 9

Posted: 22 May 2007 07:09 AM
I can confirm that I had this problem using the K-lite codec pack. DivX seems to work fine for me as thats what my video is encoded in before editing.

I had this problem a white and found it was the Xvid or something similar. It made my Windows DVD maker crash a few times.
kentsmithnz is not online. Last active: 6/11/2007 9:34:00 AM kentsmithnz

Posted: 10 Jun 2007 09:01 AM
You don't need to uninstall the codec. Just to to <tools><options><compatibility> and in the list of filters, uncheck the 'XviD MPEG-4 Video Decoder' and click <ok>.

-KENT
kentsmithnz is not online. Last active: 6/11/2007 9:34:00 AM kentsmithnz

Posted: 11 Jun 2007 09:34 AM
Actually, since my previous comment, I have discovered how bad native MPEG4 decoding is under Vista (it seemed to be dropping framerate or something - jerky panning) and found another solution. (re-enable the XviD MPEG-4 Video Decoder again if you turned it off using my previous instruction).

Go to <Start Menu><All Programs><XVid><Configure Decoder>. In the <Output> options, choose <Compatibility Renderer> and click <OK>

This still utilises the XVid MPEG4 codec and resolved the half green screen issue.

Hope this helps.

-KENT

seanzy is not online. Last active: 7/7/2007 1:19:05 AM seanzy
Total Posts: 14

Posted: 22 Jun 2007 07:40 PM
how do u uninstall a codec?....wat is a codec?
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 23 Jun 2007 10:57 AM
Codec stands for "coder / decoder". If all video was in one single, uncompressed format, there wouldn't be a need for a codec. But video is so huge that it wouldn't make sense to have all video in a raw uncompressed format. So people came up with "encoding" or compressing video.

The codec is the "translator" between the compressed format and the uncompressed readable/playable format. If you don't have the right codec for a specific video type, you can't play it in Windows Media Player, for example.

Now Windows Movie Maker usually has trouble using video unless it is one of a few specific types (e.g. DV-AVI and WMV). Other types usually cause problems and won't decode in WMM. The biggest problem is that a codec that works for decoding for playback doesn't necessarily give you the capability to *edit* the video... or it causes weirdness when you try to save, such as inability to save or black screens, half-screens, etc.

The best thing to do (from a WMM standpoint) is to avoid file types like Divx/Xvid/MPEG-4, etc. Instead convert these video types to something more standard like WMV or .avi with a compatible codec.

Also, if you load lots of codecs into Windows, these can conflict with the normal operation of WMM as it tries to use them to decode. Here the best course of action is to uncheck all the non-standard codecs listed under Tools > Options > Compatibility.

Doing these two things usually fixes most publishing problems and crashing problems with WMM.

You can read more at www.papajohn.org > Problem Solving. Look under the two sections 'Can't Save Movie' and 'Crashes and Hangs'

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 28 Jun 2007 11:24 PM
ok thanks for explaining that it helped alot...so i converted my files to an .avi and stuff but i dont know which codecs i should shut off of windows movie maker...tell me please

Posted: 28 Jun 2007 11:38 PM
that site doesnt really work becuase i got 6.0 and he just does the xp 2.0 and 2.1 versions and plus none of my codecs matched his for ones that arent compatible...so i dunno i just need to find a diff. editing program that will accept any type of files and is easy to use i dont really care on the price can u give me some suggestions or neone please????
Canandsa is not online. Last active: 9/9/2007 3:06:56 AM Canandsa
Total Posts: 3

Posted: 09 Sep 2007 02:47 AM
Thx for all the help guys =), it really helped me out :o)
Night Flyer is not online. Last active: 10/9/2007 3:21:36 PM Night Flyer

Posted: 07 Oct 2007 01:11 AM
New to the forum.

Now that I just purchased a Sony GC1 camera and used Divx to convert the MPeg4 files so I could use windows movie maker, I have the green line too.

I am downloading the codecs package, mentioned above and wonder (Since I take from this forum it is a Vista Problem) if I send the video to Youtube, as I planned, will it work the right way there, or do I have to make it work here first?

Is it just a viewing issue on my side?

It plays fine in WMM, until it is published.

Thanks kindly.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 07 Oct 2007 01:18 AM
You have to solve it first before publishing will work. It won't get any better on YouTube.

The recommended solution appears to be to convert the DivX file to a compatible format instead of trying to get it to work with any codec packages.

Blaine
YouTube videos
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 2Goto to page: [1], 2 Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Vista  > Thick Green Line After Movie is Published