[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Movie Maker Users Showcase  > Share Your Vista Transitions and Effects!!  > Re: Effect or Title? Can this be done?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Effect or Title? Can this be done?
realent is not online. Last active: 2/28/2011 9:46:42 PM realent
Total Posts: 17

Effect or Title? Can this be done?
Posted: 21 Nov 2010 11:57 PM
I know movie maker has a title effect where you can place the words over but is there anything like this possible for Movie maker? I was thinking this was a green screen effect but then I didnt seen the point of a green screen for this effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96OX1BU0hY0
The first 8 seconds of the video(The letters being seen through the video.)

PS: Great video for a not so great song.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: Effect or Title? Can this be done?
Posted: 22 Nov 2010 10:48 AM
It's very similar to the standard title animation called "Video, In Text". Someone would just need to modify it slightly to remove the animation so it is always on screen rather than zooming in.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 22 Nov 2010 12:16 PM
I was looking through the forum but I didnt see anything like it. I was also looking to see if I could try to make it myself. But I wouldnt know where to start.
SuperheroinDisguise is not online. Last active: 11/22/2010 2:48:52 PM SuperheroinDisguise
Total Posts: 10

Posted: 22 Nov 2010 02:40 PM
OK I think I may have a way of doing something similar to what you're asking using an overlay effect. It's not perfect and will probably involve a lot of trial and error on your part to get it just they way you want (or as close to as you can). I don't know if you're the kind of person that can figure this stuff out pretty easy on your own with little instruction or if you're someone who needs every step spelled out, but I'm going to err on the side of caution and try to be as detailed as I can just in case any one else comes a long and needs as much detail as possible.

First you'll need to have the overlay starter kit effect installed you can find it here http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Editing-TextEffects-CustomOverlays.html
the site should pretty much tell you just about everything you need to know about how to add overlays to your project and how to change the overlay pictures.

Next you'll need to have Paint.net installed on your computer in order to make the overlay picture you want. It can be found here http://www.getpaint.net/

First thing you're going to do in Paint is decide on the background color and use the paint bucket to color it like so: http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n43/beakerbait/1.png

Next select the Erase button and choose your brush width: http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n43/beakerbait/2.png

Then you're going to adjust the transparency: http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n43/beakerbait/3.png

After that go a head and start writing whatever it is you want your overlay to say (this is where the trial and error part comes in you'll probably find yourself having to play around a lot with this stage until you get it the way you want it to look): http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n43/beakerbait/4.png

Ok this is the point where you're going to replace your custom overlay with one of the overlays that you installed with the starter kit

Once you have something that you think might be what you're looking for save it in c:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared folder make sure you name it the same as one of those in the starter kit and make sure you save it as a png file: http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n43/beakerbait/5.png When you hit save it'll say something like this file already exist would you like to replace it hit yes.

And there you have it your own custom overlay, now all you have to do is open WMM add the clip you want to the time line then add a title, you'll need to add at least one character of text in the text box or it won't work (I just hit the space bar and WMM excepts that) next change the animation, scroll down til you find your overlay it'll be named Papa John Overlay what ever number you named it (in the example above I named my overlay 'Overlay6' so that's the one I'll select): http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n43/beakerbait/6.png then click the add button and there you go.

You'll of course have to play around with getting your overlay to look the way you want, don't be shy about playing around with different background colors and what not.

I hope this at least helps you get started and don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck on something I'm sure that I or someone else on this site can help get you unstuck.

movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 22 Nov 2010 05:25 PM
First, here's a sample video I created showing what this customized title will look like.

I've created two versions, one for XP (WMM 2.x) and the other for Vista (WMM 6.0)

For XP (WMM 2.x):

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0">
<Titles>
<TitleDLL guid="{353359C1-39E1-491b-9951-464FD8AB071C}">
<Title name="Video, Through Text" iconid="13" comments="Blaines's post #236656">
<Param name="InternalName" value="TitleStandard"/>
<Param name="Description" value="Video shows through text"/>
<Paragraph>
<Param name="MainEffect" value="EffectInverse"/>
<Param name="MainZoom" value="3 5"/>
<Param name="FrontColor1" value="#FF000000"/>
</Paragraph>
</Title>
</TitleDLL>
</Titles>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

For Vista (WMM 6.0):

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="2.8">
<Titles>
<TitleDLL guid="TFX">
<Title name="Video, Through Text" iconid="13" guid="Video, Through Text" comments="Blaines's post #236656">
<Param name="Animation" value="TitleStandard"/>
<Param name="Description" value="Video shows through text"/>
<Paragraph>
<Param name="MainEffect" value="EffectInverse"/>
<Param name="MainZoom" value="3 5"/>
<Param name="FrontColor1" value="#FF000000"/>
</Paragraph>
</Title>
</TitleDLL>
</Titles>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Copy the XML code to Notepad, then save it as videothrutext.xml in your Documents folder. Then move it to C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX
Restart WMM if it was open.

To use it, add a clip, then choose use Tools > Titles and Credits > Title on the selected clip.
Type your text in the top box.
Change the title animation to the new one-line title "Video, Through Text"
Under the text font and colors, pick a suitably big, wide font. (Impact, set to Bold was a good choice). Adjust the font size as needed.
Stretch the title to the length desired (e.g. length of clip, part of the clip, whatever).

Tell me if this works for you.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 25 Nov 2010 02:09 AM
Thanks I really appreciate this!!!
Hiddenfox is not online. Last active: 4/9/2011 5:15:29 PM Hiddenfox
Total Posts: 4

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 08:17 PM
Let me just say this: I love you!
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 09:26 PM
Then I'll just say, "You're welcome".

Blaine
YouTube videos
millarca9 is not online. Last active: 7/31/2011 5:28:03 AM millarca9
Total Posts: 34

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 05:10 AM
Hi considerate guy:) About WMM Video in text Titles, the icing on the cake (cherry on the top of the cake) woulda be the default «video, in text - video shows through text» but "poping" out (not "poping" in, like the default one) -the "inverse movment"; the "transparent" text coming out from the inner of the screen, bigger & bigger till disappear out from the screen (and, here, also not like the default one: the text must not stay estatic for a while in the screen; No!..or even if it stays for a while estatic/stoped...the important is the way the text must disappear -bigger & more bigger, till the only thing we can see is the clip or picture). Can u do this? (i post this here -dunno if it's the right place so, i also will post as a new thread).
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Movie Maker Users Showcase  > Share Your Vista Transitions and Effects!!  > Re: Effect or Title? Can this be done?