[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Countdown/Countup Timer/Clock displayed over video    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Countdown/Countup Timer/Clock displayed over video
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Countdown/Countup Timer/Clock displayed over video
Posted: 13 Jun 2005 02:29 PM
I've got several ideas on how one could do this, but I thought I'd ask for some other ideas from anyone reading these forums. What I'm trying to create is a section of video where a countdown or count-up timer is displayed. You know, like the NetZero clock on "Dog Eat Dog" or any of those other shows where they are trying to show elapsed or remaining time of an event. I'm looking for 1/10 second resolution and I don't want to have to manually create titles and change them every few frames for example.

Some ideas I've had:
1) Film a separate clock track and show it PIP-style
2) Create a blue-screen timer track and overlay it with a Chroma-key effect.
3) Create a black-screen timer track and overlay it using a Compositing function.

Ideally someone would have a title/subtitle effect where you would set the start time, the counting direction, the resolution (e.g. 1 second, 1/10 second, 1/100 second), and then you would apply it to the video. It would take care of incrementing/decrementing the timer for you. Anyone know of an add-on that could do this?

Alternatively, anyone have additional ideas on how this could be accomplished without too much hassle?

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
C:\ is not online. Last active: 7/5/2006 5:34:51 PM C:\
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 342

Re: Countdown/Countup Timer/Clock displayed over video
Posted: 13 Jun 2005 05:06 PM
I'm working on a tutorial for my website on how to do effects like this in virtual dub. I am having problems getting my server working. So until I get the site working and the tutorial finished here's a hint: You need the Logo 1.5 filter for virtual dub.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 15 Jun 2005 07:25 PM
By the way, anyone have good ideas on how to create a video sequence showing 0:00.0, 0:00.1, ... 0:59.9, 1:00.0, ... 10:00.0, 10:00.1, etc. without having to manually create the frames one by one?

Or does anyone have such a clip in their library? A basic counter with white digits on black in a standard font. It could go either direction since it would be easy enough to reverse.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
Rehan is not online. Last active: 5/8/2012 5:49:17 PM Rehan
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2176

Posted: 18 Jun 2005 01:07 PM
Blaine, This avisynth one-liner produces the timer that lasts half a minute:

Blackness.ShowSMPTE()

For full details of these methods refer to the AviSynth help. Basically it allows every possible parameter configuration one can think of Smiley. Th following two line script would produce a one hour showBig Smilewith placement adjusted to display just MM:SS:Frame view a sample.

BlankClip(length=60*60*30, width=320, height=240, fps=30, color=$000000)
ShowSMPTE(x=105, y=150, font="Arial", size=84, text_color=$ffffff)

Copy paste the code into notepad and Save as timecode.avs. Double click to play. if it asks which app to play with old media player (C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe). If you dont have it then download and use Media Player Classic. To make a movie out of this code open it in VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod and save as an AVI.

www.rehanfx.org - do more with Windows Movie Maker...
rehanfx.x10hosting.com - mirror site
bigfish is not online. Last active: 4/29/2016 12:37:01 AM bigfish
www.sitesled.com
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 356

Posted: 19 Jun 2005 03:25 AM
Hi rehan,

I liked your sample.......Unfortunately my computer is suffering some sort of illness. I was unable to open either oneSad
I tried all three of the apps you mentioned..... I am sure I did it right, I tried several times. This is very strange to me because I can still do the reverse thing.
Anyway thanks.

bigfish.
www.sitesled.com
Top 50 Poster

Posted: 19 Jun 2005 03:40 AM
BTW Blaine,

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been wanting to do a project that requires a timer in the corner of the screen.... I did it once a long time ago but I didn't write it down so I can't remember what I did. I think I used VirtualDub?

bigfish
Rehan is not online. Last active: 5/8/2012 5:49:17 PM Rehan
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2176

Posted: 19 Jun 2005 05:11 AM
The above scripts would work if you have latest version of AviSynth (2.5.6). To check the version, right click on C:\Windows\System32\avisynth.dll and select Properties.

www.rehanfx.org - do more with Windows Movie Maker...
rehanfx.x10hosting.com - mirror site
www.sitesled.com
Top 50 Poster

Posted: 19 Jun 2005 02:37 PM
It works great now..........Very cool!
Thanks rehan.

bigfish
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 20 Jun 2005 09:36 PM
Thanks for all the info, Rehan. I realized I had downloaded the first version listed on their Download page which was 2.0, rather than 2.5 (had to look further down the page).

After loading the 2.5.6 beta from 5/5/05, your scripts now work. I have one question though, is it possible to create a SMPTE code based on 10 FPS? Or 100 FPS? Rather than frame number I want to show fractions of a second and 1/30 of second isn't ideal. However when I try changing the FPS to 10 (or 100), it just opens and closes. Other more standard FPS settings work (e.g. 24) but not 10 or 100.

I suppose I could do it all manually with variables, so unless you come up with an idea for using the SMPTE function this way, I'll try that next.

Thanks again for helping me with this. Avisynth is going to be my new toy to play with for awhile.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 01:16 PM
There's a follow-up to this thread here:
view post 112667

Blaine
YouTube videos
Phyllis is not online. Last active: 6/4/2009 5:41:05 PM Phyllis
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 04 Jun 2009 05:25 PM
I need to make a counter for church, I need it to count down from 5min to 0 But I'm not sure how to make this work. I don't understand all the words you all used on this topic. Can you please simple it down for me. I would like to use different pictures or changing pictures in association with my counter. Or some times one simple background would do. Please help me with this. I love useing Movie Maker for makeing my own slid shows to plug into PowerPoint. This is what they would be used with.

Thank you for your time.
Phyllis
Ctymouse@aol.com
glow is not online. Last active: 2/28/2016 4:07:11 AM glow
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1441

Posted: 04 Jun 2009 07:54 PM
If you want a countdown timer for PowerPoint, it's probably easier to do it directly in PowerPoint.
You can find plenty of examples with a quick google for powerpoint countdown timer

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Countdown/Countup Timer/Clock displayed over video