[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Movie Maker Users Showcase  > Share Your Vista Transitions and Effects!!  > Image Wipe Transition using ShaderTFX    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Image Wipe Transition using ShaderTFX
PatrickL is not online. Last active: 12/4/2015 6:48:13 PM PatrickL
pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1305

Image Wipe Transition using ShaderTFX
Posted: 12 Sep 2007 04:56 PM
This is an attempt to use an image to highlight the transition area between two images/videos. It requires Rehan's ShaderTFX package installed and functioning.

Still some work to do, but I think it will work. Need to have UDRL direction flags and clean up the algebra. When ShaderTFX is released, I'll share this transition. Thanks Rehan for this opportunity to play.

See Demo at ImageWipe1 Demo

PatrickL

DPL Freeware Effects and Transitions for Vista MM Website
moviemakerkid is not online. Last active: 1/13/2015 11:03:35 PM moviemakerkid
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1174

Re: Image Wipe Transition using ShaderTFX
Posted: 12 Sep 2007 07:35 PM
OO i like it. Good job =)

My Downloads For Movie Maker
pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 06:59 PM
Download the Take 1 installer at "DPL ImageWipe Installer" It has a proper uninstaller.

You must have Rehan's TFX package installed unexpired or registered for this package to function. Vista MM 6 only.

This ImageWipe package contains 6 transitions showing Right, Left, Down and Up samples. Read the XML file to see how to expand it using your images. Post here if you run into problems with it.

Enjoy, PatrickL

considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 07:10 PM
When I saw your demo video earlier I was thinking that you probably used the alpha channel to determine whether to draw the A clip or B clip... and my suspicions have been confirmed. That makes for a nice generalized way to do image wipe transitions.

I'm going to have to study your .fx file a little more. You mentioned that the image has to be less than the frame width but I want to understand why, and also how I could workaround that. I want to be able to recreate my "Love Boat Anchor" transition in Vista and I was going to use a method just like yours, but the image is as big as the frame. I'm sure it has to do with the math on the entrance and exit of the image.

Any insight before I delve into the .fx file?

P.S. I've added this to the pinned post (view post 126998)

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 08:00 PM
Hi Blaine,

I hadn't really thought of a really fat (full screen image), but now that you mention it, it seems even more general than mine. Your Love Boat XP transition looks good.

Perhaps a head and tail pointer based on ftime could be used to decide when to sample the mask image, being sure to quit when you reach the view window boundaries so no bad samples or wrapping occur. Also one has to wory about MM6 keeeping the same aspect ratio when expanding/contracting images. Might need a different mask for 4:3 and 16:9, or maybe since you have conquered stretching, that technique could be used.

Thanks for the prod, I'll ponder it a bit more. Full sized mask images would be even more general than what I have so far.

The PNG alpha channel seems to work pretty good, although there is a bit of color fringing at view window boundaries and the region boundaries that I haven't conquered. The various lerpings that go on behind the scenes seem to corrupt the nice pure alpha values that you carefully set up in the mask.

Have Fun, PatrickL

movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 08:17 PM
I don't know if I can say that I've conquered resizing; some of my results surprise me and don't seem like they should work but do (with my test files), but may not work in all cases. I can see now the complexities involved in figuring out the head and the tail to determine if you are off the image and should use the leading or trailing clip's pixels. And I totally get what you are saying about the linear interpolation messing with your pure alpha values.

Blaine
YouTube videos
Rehan is not online. Last active: 5/8/2012 5:49:17 PM Rehan
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2176

Posted: 25 Sep 2007 01:08 AM
Great trick.

www.rehanfx.org - do more with Windows Movie Maker...
rehanfx.x10hosting.com - mirror site
pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 25 Sep 2007 11:42 AM
Blaine, after a bit more thinking I tried the head/tail pointer thought to get full size transition images. It worked out easier than I first thought. I modified the Demo and uploaded it with the same name.

Check out the red truck at the end.

I'll clean up the package and replace it before too long. Just uninstall the old one, and install the new one. I'll post here when the update is done.

I did have to clip a few pixel widths off of the left and top edge of the mask, but it is just 0.2%. Pretty close full image. The narrower transition images (like the beer bottle) get delayed a bit, and are onscreen less, but it seems OK to me. Could probably adjust that later if it proves too troublesome.

The alpha corruption caused fringing around the transition image is still here. Probably really need to have a 4th image (like Rehan's B/W split images) to control the transition edge and use a transition image with transparency around it . But I haven't discovered an entry point in TFX for a 4th image. Rehan?

Anyway thanks for the prodding. This is a better package now. And should do the Love Boat transition for you.

PatrickL

pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 25 Sep 2007 01:46 PM
Download the Take 1 installer at "DPL ImageWipe Installer"

The description is the same, but this is an update.

As always, report problems (and successes) here. I'm looking forward to all you artists contributing some nice wipes.

Enjoy, PatrickL

www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 26 Sep 2007 08:56 PM
This is really nice idea. I also started experimenting on this. Approaching it from a slightly different point of view... and observing that the wipe itself can be calculated from simple parameters such as "start" and "end" points, we can just use a normal overlay to move with the wipe. This would give a freedom in the direction of wipe and movement of the image overlay. For example: Overlay Wipe example.

pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 27 Sep 2007 10:58 AM
The Model Plane transition looks great. Using transparency sure gets rid of the color fringing problems with the alpha approach and the softness in the transition boundary makes you not notice so much that it is a straight line and the arbitrary direction is nicer than my UDRL options.

My first prototype was similar, but then I got enamored with more arbitrary transition boundaries, and tried the alpha approach. It works kinda OK, but "I have a dream".

What I was really hoping is that in the future you might provide access to a 4th texture (Sampler3 (tex3)) that could be used to shape the transition boundary with more arbitrary masks like your Split PNGs. Then the transition boundary could trail back from the wingtips of the Model Airplane and be soft or hard.Smiley

And while I am dreaming, a sampler that could contain videos would let the Model Planes propeller spin and allow other neat things. I have no idea if that could happen since the MM architecture seems to only allows 2 video tracks.

Love your package Rehan. It and the stuff you and others are creating for it have brought MM 6 up to where I can use it to produce videos the way I like to do it, and I can forsake MM 2.6.

Regards, PatrickL

pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 29 Sep 2007 12:27 PM
Well, ideas from Blaine and Rehan keep me thinking about this one. Here is a Version 3, still using the alpha approach. Incorporated the arbitrary angle idea of Rehan.

DPL Imagewipe V3

There is still a bit of color fringing from the alpha interpolation, and the mask image now must have overscan to accomodate the various angles (the PNG compresses nicely though). However, I really like Rehan's soft bordered transition front. Haven't thought of a way to do that with the alpha masks included in the PNG. hmmm Now I'm torn between arbitrary transition boundaries and soft transitions.

Think I'll ponder a bit.Perplexed

PatrickL

www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 01 Oct 2007 04:18 AM
Hi Patrick, how would you like to have 6 textures on your disposal !!! Comping up in next version of ShaderTFX 1.1.

Please do not hesitate to express any more wishes you might have. I intend to release 1.1 for general beta in a months time but will start closed beta testing in a few days so look for it in your Inbox :-)

www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 01 Oct 2007 04:26 AM
For animating textures... in principle one can still do it by placing all the frames in one image horizontally/vertically and moving a source rectangle using evlautation="Step" time values. But I havent tried this yet so dont know what practical limits it might have.

swami is not online. Last active: 11/28/2016 6:29:35 PM swami
www.lpvideos.neptune.com
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 365

Posted: 01 Oct 2007 03:42 PM
Thanks to Rehan and Patrick, I created this video
using the moving logo effects with shader TFX,
Here is an example clip I made using these effects.
The frame I created:

Halloween-clip

Witch

Bat

__Swami__ Linda
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 01 Oct 2007 04:36 PM
The link didn't work...

Blaine
YouTube videos
sistersalways is not online. Last active: 12/1/2007 4:28:34 PM sistersalways
Total Posts: 65

Posted: 01 Oct 2007 05:32 PM
thanks soooo much!! Just wondering can anyone teach how tp make our own images for this effects? like whats the requirments & how the BG of the image is supposed to be?
www.lpvideos.neptune.com
Top 50 Poster

Posted: 01 Oct 2007 05:40 PM
the link is working now. Sorry about that.
The images can be almost any size.
You can always google for .png files to make it
easier.
I also have quite a few .png images.
If you are looking for something in particular, let
me know.

__Swami__ Linda
sistersalways is not online. Last active: 12/1/2007 4:28:34 PM sistersalways
Total Posts: 65

Posted: 01 Oct 2007 08:19 PM
ok thanks swami
pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 02 Oct 2007 05:03 PM
OK, I think I got it. This V3 still uses alpha but in a slightly different way. One alpha layer(channel) at 20% opacity, and the head/tail regions differentiated by black or white. Also a transition area between B & W like Rehan's split masks. Now, the transition front, and even holes, can be any shape, and the transition can be soft between ImageA and ImageB. This also keeps the alpha values less ambiguous, so the color fringing is minimized.

I plan on exposing an interface consisting of:
Angle -180 to +180 0=Horizontal Right, 90 = Up, -90 = Down, +-180 = Horizontal left
FlipH - Flip Horizontal
FlipV - Flip Vertical
FlipTH - Flip Tail & Head transition colors (BW!)
Progress - control the Time curve

The demo is at angles -30 and -150 w FlipH respectively. Now the image controls the transition progression and the border softness.

The mask was created in PaintShop Pro, and used 2 layers, eventually merged to 1 layer.
I imagine GIMP, Paint.net, Photoshop etc can handle it nicely. The transition area was a 25 pixel Gausian blur. Saucer and ET has nothing to do with it, I just threw in another effect for fun.

When I get home next week, I'll finish this off, package it and post it, and explain the format of the image and how to make it. I like this thing now!!

Later, PatrickL

pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 02 Oct 2007 05:08 PM
Nice going Swami. Like to see these things being used creatively. I can write a little code, but am artistically challengedSmiley

Rehan, looking forward to testing beta 1.1.

PatrickL

www.lpvideos.neptune.com
Top 50 Poster

Posted: 02 Oct 2007 05:54 PM
Thanks Patrick! love your effects.
The new one is exactly what I am looking for.
PSP comes in handy for creating.
Keep up the great work!

Here's another clip using Crazy talk with Movie Maker and Patrick's
Wipe Transitions using Rehan's Shader TFX
I also used Patrick's Moving logo for the ghost flying down.
The wipe is Dancing skeletons.
I used a hand.png for the Moving logo hand along the bottom.

Pumpkin-talking

__Swami__ Linda
pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 12 Oct 2007 09:55 AM
ImageWipe is now available. Requires Rehan's Vista Shader TFX plugin be installed.

Download the installer at "DPL ImageWipe Installer" Run the exe as administrator. It has an uninstaller.

This version contains two ways to do the image wipe.

EZ Mode - Straight line transition at angle.
The Image is easier to create - just an image in the center of a transparent canvas

Fancy Mode - arbitrary transition geometry
-The image is placed on a large canvas, then transparent Black and White colors determine the transition points.

Sorry, but any of your old ImageWipe transitions will have to be reworked a bit to function here.

I suggest you uninstall any previous DPL ImageWipe prior to installing this.

This is really a kit to allow you to create your ImageWipe transitions. Read the XML file for some more information. Also, some generic Icons (RULD) are at 16, 17, 18 and 19 in the DLL in case you don't want Beer Bottles, Red Trucks or Ceramic Cats as your Icon.

I found the fx file getting complex enough to expire if I put a few more instructions in it. My graphics card is fairly hot, so I don't know if there is a problem with lesser cards. Would like any feedback of problems (or successes).

Also included is a "100% effect". For videos/images with aspect ratios different from the project aspect ratio, just apply this effect to the A/B images, and the transition will be full screen even if the image isn't.

Have fun, PatrickL

ryan_khoo is not online. Last active: 4/8/2011 7:25:38 AM ryan_khoo
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 211

Posted: 17 Oct 2007 09:30 AM
Hi Patrick,

How come I cannot download the earlier version of beer bottle, cat & truck anymore ?

When I click the "download file" button, the page just keep repeats itself to the same page.

Thanks

pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 18 Oct 2007 08:13 AM
Hey Ryan,

I meant to replace the earlier versions so to only continue with this latest, greatest version.Wink

If you really want the older versions, I could make it available to you, but don't intend on supporting it any more.

What did you want from the earlier version that is not in this one? Perhaps I could provide the XML/Images to do what you want with this version.

Patrick

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 2Goto to page: [1], 2 Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Movie Maker Users Showcase  > Share Your Vista Transitions and Effects!!  > Image Wipe Transition using ShaderTFX